Saturday, January 9, 2010

Advocate...or accuser?

Would you like to join me on a weekly journey? Part of my devotional plan for the new year is to focus each week on a unique aspect of Jesus. This choice is to further two goals I have set for 2010:
  • feed my longing to cooperate fully with God's purposes of transforming me into the likeness of Christ...
  • and to enter into the gates of the Lord with thanksgiving and praise.

This past week I've contemplated Jesus' role as my advocate with the Father. I am so undeserving of this work on my behalf and not nearly as grateful as I should be. Transforming my head knowledge into living, active love is a slow process. Yet God remains faithful and Jesus advocates moment by moment for me. The Lord's willingness to suffer long through my failures is a model I need to contemplate daily. My heart was pierced with the realization that I naturally emulate Satan: the accuser of the brethren. Our world needs no more natural pictures of Satan or even pictures of the work of the natural man. What a joy to gaze upon this beautiful work of Christ and seek to be more like Him!

Father, forgive me of my sins and cleanse me of these habits of criticism I've learned and practiced most of my life. Lead me into praise for Jesus, His work on my behalf and the privilege of copying His work for those whose lives I touch. In Jesus' name, Amen


My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
(1 John 2:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment