Saturday, August 28, 2010

Life will flow from us!

… Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (John 7:37b-38)


Now here is a promise we can claim and be excited with!  This is a bit different style of writing than I usually do.  It is my interpretation of the experience of another person.  Hope you enjoy it!
------------

Why?! My mind raged against this ridiculous hindrance to my heart’s desire…a good desire. The longing to give blood—the gift of life—fervently burned in my heart. Yet my body would not cooperate. My mind understood the value of giving blood and the minor discomfort was not the slightest deterrent. Yet my body seemed determined to selfishly hold onto every drop of blood possible; it simply would not release the precious drops into the waiting bag of life. The selfish determination of my body thwarted my desire to share life with another in need.



The Red Cross technician gently encouraged me with information on the research potential of my donation and with instructions for future success. The directives for my next opportunity to donate ‘life’ were simple: drink water. I pursued that advice with zeal and consumed vast quantities in the day preceding my appointment. My body seemingly remained intent on thwarting my desire and promptly eliminated all I imbibed. I kept my appointment anyway. The table was readied and I lay down with some doubts about my ability to give what I so desired. I was astounded when just eight minutes later the technician prepared to remove the needle. The bag of life was full; my desire completed! Life offered! I couldn’t wait to share my joy and delight with my friend. As she rejoiced in my triumph, she spoke words of eternal truth: “That’s the way it is with Jesus! When we drink of the living water, life flows easily from us.”



Those words have pierced my soul and transformed the value of my days. Lasting life is not transferred by appointment. It is not a matter of my body’s cooperation, my ability or a specific activity. Sharing my precious gift of life is as easy as drawing on the Source and then simply living. My life is a wellspring for others if I have filled my wells with Him! This indeed is a dying world…His life is needed by all. Those who have received His life are called to share it…encourage those who know Him, enlighten those who don’t. Make your blood donation appointment and let the earthly blood extend the life of another but give the eternal gift of life moment by moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment