Thursday, September 29, 2011

Broken Trust

1 John 4:16-21


THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Perfect love casts out all fear (1John 4:18a)


The van roared to life and lurched backwards. Just a toddler, my folks had left me in the front of our concession van while they served customers from the rear. Why I decided to turn the ignition key is a lost memory. Regardless, panic resulted. Customers scattered and my parents flew to the front of the van. Clearly, I was in big trouble!


Dad’s gentle love often protected me from mom’s harshness, so I scuttled across the seats to him. His swift, harsh spanking devastated my little heart. I felt publicly shamed. My trust in his love to protect and defend me--even from my own actions--was crushed. Dad’s fear had overshadowed his love.


Human love is like that--powerful to shelter but also to damage and always susceptible to distortion. The love of God is never like that: nothing ever clouds His love, His purposes or His understanding. Even when we were enemies of God, His love sought us out. Running to Him is always safe and wise!


PRAYER: Father, heal our broken hearts and teach us what love really looks like. Help us love like you love and bring healing to others. In Jesus’ name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment