Thursday, February 19, 2009

Freedom of Forgiveness

What a joy that God established a plan for redemption that included forgiveness. We know that the forgiveness we have in Christ is a tremendous richness. It restored access to the Heavenly Father; it is necessary for eternal life...but there is another joy in forgiveness we often don't consider. There is a freedom and transformation in forgiveness that simple amnesty could never have provided.

To seek forgiveness implies an understanding of having done wrong. To seek forgiveness requires us to allow the Holy Spirit to search our hearts and unveil areas that need cleansing. In my prayer journal, I have a page for confession. On it I put down all those ugly attitudes that cloud my view of Him and the work He is doing--the irritation with others, the mis-placed priorities, the troubles that threaten to drown my faith in His sovereignty.

Then I claim 1 John 1:9. I've confessed them, He needs to cleanse them. God is faithful. He will bring to mind the roots of those attitudes. He will show me the pride, the sin and the blindness of my own soul. And in that heartwork, He continues with the work only He can do...transforming this fallen, selfish being into His workmanship. Praise God, "He's still working on me" and is faithful to continue it.

So the encouragement today: embrace confession, rejoice in forgiveness and watch Him work!


If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment